A source for policies, procedures, handbooks and other resources from the School of Education and Human Development

User Tools

Site Tools


Table of Contents

Student Policies & Procedures

The Purpose of this Handbook

Your successful experience in the School of Education and Human Development (SEHD) is important to us. This SEHD Student Policies and Procedures Handbook is a tool to ensure you maintain academic progress according to SEHD and University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) policies and procedures. Your Program Handbook also contains information addressing specific requirements of your program in addition to those contained in the SEHD Student Policies and Procedures Handbook. Take the necessary time to read this Handbook and your Program Handbook, and also refer to the SEHD website. If you have any questions about the information contained in this Handbook, contact the SEHD Academic Services at 303-315-6300.

The student assumes full responsibility for meeting all basic requirements for the degree as well as the specific requirements outlined by his/her program.

SEHD documents (program handbooks, forms, etc.) can be found at

The University of Colorado Denver and the School of Education and Human Development reserve the right to make changes in the regulations, courses, rules, fees, or other changes in this handbook without advance notice. See the SEHD website at and the CU Denver website at for any updates to this Policies and Procedures Handbook. No verbal modifications to the contents of this Handbook are allowed. All modifications must be in writing and approved by the SEHD. The University of Colorado Denver is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). University of Colorado Denver’s School of Education & Human Development is fully accredited by the Colorado Department of Education, the Colorado Department of Higher Education, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs and the National Association of School Psychologists.

We are affiliated with American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, American Education Research Association, Council of Great City Schools and Colleges of Education (with Denver Public Schools), Urban Educator Corps, National Education Association, A+ Denver Citizens Group, Colorado Association of School Boards, Colorado Association of School Executives, Colorado Council of Deans of Education, and Colorado Education Association.

Doctoral Students – EDD, PSYD and PHD

In addition to this handbook and the Program Handbook, doctoral students should refer to the Graduate School’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Graduate Student Handbook. The Graduate School’s website also has resources that will be helpful to doctoral students as you complete your dissertation or capstone:

Undergraduate students

The CU Denver catalog is considered the source for academic and programmatic requirements for students entering programs during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters each academic year. Undergraduate students may access the catalog at

School of Education and human development

Welcome to the School of Education and Human Development (SEHD) at University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver). As the largest graduate School of Education in Colorado, we offer exciting advantages to students seeking to begin or advance a career in education or mental health.

* Degree programs that serve as national models of excellence.
* Day, evening, weekend and online courses.
* A high level of service to our students.
* Deep and sustained connections with schools, districts, community organizations and policymakers.
* Influential, supportive, world-class faculty who are connected to the world of practice.
* A reputation and location that attract highly-talented students.
* A Continuing Professional Education program offering holistic approaches to real-world challenges and solutions.

We are committed to developing forward-thinking educators and counselors who have a deep sense of critical inquiry, a great desire to live their lives purposefully, a passion for giving back to the community and the cultural competence needed to serve urban and diverse populations.

The degrees, licensure, certificate and endorsement programs we offer are:

BA Degree

* Education and Human Development Major
* Licensure in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education or Special Education
* Human Development and Family Relations Concentration

MA Degrees

* Administrative Leadership and Policy Studies: concentrations in Principal License, Early Childhood (non-licensure), Higher Education Leadership (non-licensure), and Urban Education (non-licensure)
* Counseling
* Early Childhood Education
* Education and Human Development: Assessment; Human Development; Research and Evaluation; Learning; and Teaching in Diverse Contexts (Teacher Education/Initial Licensure)
* MA in Curriculum and Instruction: Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education, Math/Science Education, Reading/Writing, Secondary English Education, Integrated Studies, Social Studies, Critical Pedagogy, Special Education
* Information Learning Technologies: eLearning, Instructional Design and Adult Learning, K-12Digital Media for Teaching and Learning with Instructional Technology Endorsement, School Library

MSEd Degree

* Mathematics Education

Educational Specialist Degree

* Administrative Leadership & Policy Studies and Principal Licensure

Doctoral Degrees

* EdD: Leadership for Educational Equity
* PsyD: School Psychology
* PhD: Education and Human Development


* Administrator License
* Early Childhood Special Education Specialist
* Elementary Initial Teacher License
* Principal License
* School Counselor
* School Psychologist
* Secondary Initial Teacher License
* English
* French
* Math
* Science
* Social Studies
* Spanish
* Special Education Generalist


* Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education
* Bi-Lingual Education Specialist
* Early Childhood Special Education Specialist
* Instructional Technologist Teacher or Specialist Level (for educational technology teachers)
* Reading Teacher
* School Counselor
* School Librarian
* Special Education Generalist


Content Area Certificates Early Childhood Education Early Childhood Coaching
Buell Early Childhood Leadership
Infant Toddler Autism​
Information & Learning Technologies Online Teaching Leadership Executive Leadership
Teacher Leadership
Linguistically Diverse Education Teaching for Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Literacy Early Literacy
Literacy and Language Development for English Language Learners
Math & Science Mathematical Content Knowledge for Teaching
Place-based Education
Research Classroom Assessment School Library Highly Effective School Libraries School Psychology Bilingual School Psychology Special Education Applied Behavior Analysis Teacher Education Culturally Responsive Urban Education
Global Education

Paraprofessionals Pathways2Teaching

Emotions, Behaviors and Mental Health in Schools


Prepare and inspire education and mental health leaders to have a profound impact in fostering student opportunity, achievement and success in urban and diverse communities


Academic Services

The mission of Academic Services (AS) is to provide support and assist students and faculty to promote the highest standard of learning, teaching, research and service in the School of Education and Human Development.

Academic Services forms a critical link between current, prospective and former students in the School of Education and Human Development and the administrative units of the School, the Graduate School, the University, and the Colorado Department of Education. This office provides, among other services, information about degree programs and related processes, admissions, maintains records, and ensures that students meet requirements to graduate. Academic Services supports students at all levels, including undergraduate, graduate and certificate, endorsement, and licensure students.

Academic Services is also a resource for faculty advisors who need information regarding the procedures their students must follow in the process of pursuing a degree in the School. Academic Services also supports faculty in their research, teaching and service.

Contact Information

Physical Location: 1380 Lawrence Street, Suite 701 Hours: Monday— Friday, 8:00—5:00 Phone: 303-315-6300
Fax: 303-315-6311 Mailing Address:
University of Colorado Denver
School of Education & Human Development
Academic Services
P.O. Box 173364, Campus Box 106
Denver, CO 80204


Deadlines for admissions are by program area. Refer to the SEHD website Admissions page found at ation/Apply/Pages/ApplyNow.aspx for deadline dates.

Application instructions and access to the online application are available on the SEHD website at or by contacting the Office of Admissions & Outreach at or 303-315-6300.

Applications are forwarded to program faculty for review. Interview and official admission notifications are processed by AS.


Students are assigned staff academic advisors dependent upon their program. See the contact information for staff advisors. Graduate students are also assigned a faculty advisor or mentor at the time of admission. Students are instructed to contact academic and faculty advisors directly to schedule appointments.

Student Records

Current student records are housed in Academic Services.

Academic Services Staff Contact Information

'Lindsay Austin '\\
Manager of Admissions & Graduation\\

Shelley Gomez\\
Academic Advisor – All Curriculum and Instruction Master’s programs\\

'Meredith Lopez '\\
Teacher Education Coordinator\\
Academic Advisor – Professional Year of Teacher Education\\

'Scarlett 'Pontón de Dutton\\
Academic Advisor – Undergraduate Programs\\

Bridget Sabo\\
Admissions Associate\\

Geneva Sarcedo\\
Academic Advisor – SPSY, COUN, ECE, EPSY\\

'Rebecca Schell '\\
Academic Advisor – ALPS, ILT\\

Sandy Snyder-Mondragon\\
Academic Advisor - Doctoral programs\\

Student Behavior and Conduct

CU Denver Student Code of Conduct

As members of the CU Denver community, students are expected to uphold University standards, which include abiding by state, civil and criminal laws and all University policies and standards of conduct. These standards assist in promoting a safe and welcoming community.

The University strives to make the campus community a place of study, work and residence where people are treated, and treat one another, with respect and courtesy. The University views the student conduct process as a learning experience that can result in growth and personal understanding of one’s responsibilities and privileges within both the University community and the greater community. Students who violate these standards will be subject to the actions described below. These procedures are designed to provide fairness to all who are involved in the conduct process.

Philosophy of Student Conduct

The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards views the conduct process as a learning experience that helps students to understand their responsibility both to themselves and their living and learning community. We strive to learn from one another in an educational environment that holds mutual respect for individuals and community in high regard and self-responsibility for behaviors. Behavior that conflicts with established standards, policies and guidelines may be referred for conduct proceedings. Every member of the student community must assume responsibility for becoming educated about the various University and housing standards, policies, and guidelines. It is against the basic nature of this community for anyone to demean or discriminate against another human being. A caring, educational community does not tolerate physical or psychological threats, harassment, intimidation, or violence directed against a person. Such behavior is subject to the University conduct processes.


We are committed to a campus community where diversity is appreciated and valued, and where all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. We encourage curiosity, open communication, continuous learning, and community service as ways to create a socially just environment. We support the right to respectful disagreement with ideas and philosophies different from their own. However, we do not permit any form of behavior that places anyone in dangerous, discriminatory, or harassing environments. As a community, we expect all community members to work towards these same goals.

The full CU Denver Student Code of Conduct can be found at:

Students should also refer to individual program handbooks for additional, specific, information regarding expectations related to professional behaviors and/or ethical standards.

SEHD Student Honor Code

The School of Education & Human Development is committed to the Honor Code of the University of Colorado Denver. A university's reputation is built on a standing tradition of excellence and scholastic integrity. As members of the CU Denver academic community, faculty and students accept the responsibility to maintain the highest standards of intellectual honesty and ethical conduct in completing all forms of academic work and internships associated with the University.

Education at CU Denver is conducted under the honor system. All students entering an academic program should have developed the qualities of honesty and integrity, and each student should apply these principles to his or her academic and subsequent professional career. All students are expected to achieve a level of maturity which is reflected by appropriate conduct at all times. The type of conduct which violates the School of Education & Human Developments Student Honor Code may include but is not limited to the following:

1. Plagiarism

2. Cheating

3. Fabrication, falsification and deception

4. Multiple submissions

5. Misuse of academic materials

6. Complicity

7. Intoxication

8. Unprofessionalism

9. Disruptive or disorderly conduct or any violation of the Student Code of Conduct

Academic Dishonesty

Students are expected to know, understand, and comply with the ethical standards of the University. In addition, students have an obligation to inform the appropriate official of any acts of academic dishonesty by other students of the University. Academic dishonesty is defined as a student's use of unauthorized assistance with intent to deceive an instructor or other such person who may be assigned to evaluate the student’s work in meeting course and degree requirements.


Plagiarism is the use of another person’s distinctive ideas or words without acknowledgment. The incorporation of another person’s work into one’s own required appropriate identification and acknowledgment, regardless of the means of appropriation. The following are considered to be forms of plagiarism when the source is not noted:

1. Word-for-word copying of another person's ideas or words.

2. The mosaic (the interspersing of one’s own words here and there while, in\\
essence, copying another's work).

3. The paraphrase (the rewriting of another’s work, yet still using their fundamental\\
idea or theory).

4. Fabrication of references (inventing or counterfeiting sources).

5. Submission of another’s work as one's own.

6. Neglecting quotation marks on material that is otherwise acknowledged.

Acknowledgment is not necessary when the material used is common knowledge.


Cheating involves the possession, communication, or use of information, materials, notes, study aids or other devices not authorized by the instructor in an academic exercise, or communication with another person during such an exercise. Some examples of cheating include:

1. Copying from another's paper or receiving unauthorized assistance from another during an academic exercise or in the submission of academic material;

2. Using any electronic, or digital, or technological or other device when its use has been disallowed;

3. Collaborating with another student or students during an academic exercise without the consent of the instructor.

Fabrication, Falsification and Deception

Fabrication involves inventing or counterfeiting information, e.g., creating results not obtained in a study or research. Falsification, on the other hand, involves deliberately altering or changing results to suit one’s needs in an experiment or other academic exercise. Deception is providing false information or knowingly withholding information.

Multiple Submissions

This is the submission of academic work for which academic credit has already been earned, when such submission is made without instructor authorization.

Misuse of Academic Materials

The misuse of academic materials includes, but is not limited to, the following:

1. Stealing or destroying library or reference materials or computer programs;

2. Stealing or destroying another student’s notes or materials, or having such materials in one’s possession without the owner’s permission;

3. Receiving assistance in locating or using sources of information in an assignment when such assistance has been forbidden by the instructor;

4. Illegitimate possession, disposition, or use of examinations or answer keys to examinations.

5. Unauthorized alteration, forgery, or falsification;

6. Unauthorized sale or purchase of examinations, papers, or assignments.

Complicity in Academic Dishonesty

Complicity involves knowingly contributing to another’s acts of academic dishonesty.


This is defined as being under the influence of drugs or alcohol in any University setting, classroom setting, practicum/internship, professional development school/site, computer lab or shared student space that compromises the student’s ability to learn and participate in educational activities, interferes with the learning process of other students and/or customers and clients of the School of Education & Human Development. Students who have difficulties with alcohol and/or other substances may seek assistance from services available on campus such as the CU Denver Student/Community Counseling Center.

Unprofessional Behavior

Any conduct including electronic communications, both on and off campus, that interfere with the student’s ability to maintain professional standards as defined in program handbooks, professional codes of ethics, University policies or procedures or reflects poorly on the student, School of Education & Human Development or University is prohibited.

Disruptive or Disorderly Conduct

Disruptive or disorderly conduct in any University setting or partner setting, such as the disregard of rights of faculty, staff, administration and peers, threatening behaviors in any medium of communication and sexual harassment are examples of disruptive and disorderly conduct and a violation of the University Code of Student Conduct is prohibited. The Code of Student Conduct can be found by visiting the Office of Community Standards and Wellness website at

All proceedings concerned with academic dishonesty are confidential to the extent permitted by law. A student accused of academic dishonesty has the right to:

* admit to the charges and accept the penalty imposed by the instructor. If the student admits to the charges, the faculty member will invoke an appropriate penalty, which could include the issuance of a failing grade in the course. If the faculty member believes further action is warranted, then the faculty member may request a hearing of the Academic Ethics Committee, which will determine if further action is necessary;
* dispute the charges or the penalty by following the Student Academic Appeal process.

Procedures for faculty encountering academic dishonesty

In order to facilitate the accusation process, it is suggested that faculty members include in their syllabi a statement concerning their policy on matters of academic dishonesty.

A. A faculty member who suspects that a student may be guilty of academic dishonesty should react quickly. S/he should gather as much evidence as possible as rapidly as possible: e.g. gathering names of and impressions from potential witnesses, listing potential references that may have been plagiarized, or retaining any hard copies of evidence, such as “cheat sheets” or tests that might have been copied and/or copied from. S/he should commit as many details of the incident to writing as quickly as possible as details regarding an incident can be quickly forgotten.

B. When a faculty member has evidence suggesting that a student is guilty of academic dishonesty, the student should be confronted with the evidence at a meeting, preferably held in the faculty member's office within five (5) working days of the discovery of the alleged incident.

C. After the meeting described above, the faculty member should determine the appropriate penalty for the act of dishonesty. This penalty, as determined by the faculty member, may be a failing or zero grade for the assignment in question or a failing grade in the course. The penalty should be consistent with any information published in the faculty member's syllabus. If the faculty member feels that issuance of a failing grade is an insufficient penalty, then the faculty member may request a formal meeting the Associate Dean over SEHD academic program.

D. After determining the appropriate penalty, the faculty member should present the student with a written letter describing the alleged violation. Copies of this letter should be given to the student’s faculty advisor, the Associate Dean of academic programs and a copy should be place in the student’s file housed within the Student Services Center.

This letter must include:

* a detailed description of the incident that resulted in the allegation of academic dishonesty;
* a statement of the penalty that will be imposed on the student;
* a copy of the academic appeal process

Procedures for faculty that encounter violations of policies other than academic dishonesty

Violations of the student honor code that are unrelated to academic dishonesty should also be considered serious and reported to the School of Education & Human Development Associate Dean for Academics. The appropriate offices including campus police, CU Denver Office of Community Standards and Wellness and other appropriate offices may be contacted to report the violation. Consequences and outcomes will be determined by the appropriate parties given the severity of the offense.

Programs of Study


All admitted Denver main campus students in the SEHD will be invited to a new student orientation prior to their first semester.

Attending the CU Denver Fall Welcome is a great way to learn what you need to know for your first semester at the University of Colorado Denver, Downtown Campus. This information session will offer you an opportunity to meet fellow students, staff, and faculty and learn about:
* Campus Resources
* Campus Policies and Deadlines
* Transportation and Parking

In addition to the CU Denver Fall Welcome, many programs in the SEHD have their own program orientation. You will receive information regarding your program’s orientation via email once you have been admitted. It is STRONGLY recommended that you attend your program orientation. In many cases, program orientations are mandatory.

Course Plans

Course Plan Forms are available online at by selecting your program from the drop-down menu called “Program specific resources.” Course plans are also available in your program handbook. No modifications to the degree plan may occur without approval. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their course plan conforms to their program requirements.

Substituting a Course

Substitutions refer to replacing a course that is required for a degree with another course, generally because of a situation beyond the student’s control. The substitution must be approved by your faculty advisor. Students must complete the Course Substitution or Waiver Form found at and submit to Academic Services with appropriate signatures.

Waive a Course

Waivers refer to degree requirements that are waived based on classes that students have taken prior to entering the program, including courses transferred from another institution. Course waivers imply that you have sufficient knowledge in a particular area, whereas transfer credit implies that actual credit has been approved decreasing the total number of units needed to graduate. Courses may be waived if it has been determined that the course is redundant to your current degree program. You must submit all necessary documentation (syllabus, transcript, etc.) to prove that you have sufficient knowledge in this area to warrant a waiver. If you feel a course waiver is appropriate, you as the student must approach your faculty advisor, who will decide whether other documentation warrants the waiver. Typically, when a waiver is granted a substitutable course is approved simultaneously. A waived course does not mean a reduction in credit hours required, unless the credit is transferrable to your CU Denver degree program. Students must complete the Course Substitution or Waiver Form found on the Academic Service website under Current Students and submit to Academic Services with appropriate signatures.

Transfer Credit for Graduate Degrees

Transfer credit is defined as any credit earned at another accredited institution either in the United States or abroad, or credits earned as a non-degree student within the UC system. Graduate courses taken while the student was enrolled in a graduate program anywhere in the CU system are considered resident, not transfer, and therefore fall outside the limits on transfer credits.

Students must complete the form found at and obtain signatures as indicated. Return the form with an official transcript to your faculty advisor. Submit the required documentation as soon as possible once the course and grade are posted on the transcript. Students should consult with their academic advisor on credit hour limits, if applicable, that may be transferred into their program. Conditions listed below must be fulfilled before request can be acted upon.

- Official transcript showing courses recommended for transfer must accompany this request. To be official, a transcript must show the seal of the institution.
- Courses used toward one master’s degree cannot be used toward another master’s degree. Appropriate courses used toward a master’s degree may be used toward a doctoral degree.
- Grades in the courses recommended for transfer must be no lower than B-.
- Courses with “Pass/Fail” or “Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory” grades will not be transferred.
- Institutions from which courses are recommended for transfer must be accredited.
- Quarter hours will be converted to semester hours by multiplying the number of quarter hours by .66.
- Student must have satisfactorily completed one semester in the Graduate School as a regular degree student before transfer of credit is recommended.
- Student’s grade-point average on all work taken must be no lower than 3.0.
- The Rules of the Graduate School stipulate a maximum number of hours which may be transferred, depending upon the degree toward which the student is working. See your program handbook for the number of hours your program will accept.
- Courses taken more than 10 years prior to the date of graduation must be revalidated by examination.
- Courses recommended for transfer must be equal in level to courses applicable toward the degree at this institution.
- Grades for transferred classes are not calculated into the graduate grade point average.

Non-Degree Coursework

Up to '9 credit hours 'taken under non-degree status may be applied toward degrees in the SEHD. It is important that non-degree students move forward in a timely manner to complete their application for admission as degree students.

Certificate Credits

Credits in a certificate program are transferable into SEHD degree programs. If a student is not already enrolled in a SEHD degree program, the certificate will appear on the student’s transcript upon successful completion of the courses. If a student is currently enrolled in a SEHD degree program and is taking certificate courses, the credits may apply toward the degree, but the certificate will only be transcribed if no more than 3 credit hours are used to meet degree requirements. Nationally and internationally recognized certificates are exceptions to this policy, such as the Applied Behavioral Analysis certificate.

Students must have a grade of C or better in all classes applied toward their certificate and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B average) or higher for the certificate to be transcribed. Particular district-related certificates and the TBI certificate require a grade of B or better for certificate transcription. In some cases, courses with a grade of C may not count toward an MA degree depending on specific degree program requirements.

Academic Progress

Academic Calendars

As a CU Denver student, you are responsible for knowing the specific requirements and deadlines published each semester. Academic Calendars are found at


CU​ Denver offers students a completely automated system to register for classes. UCDAccess will tell you when you may register. As a student, you are responsible knowing the deadlines, rules, regulations, course loads, prerequisites and policies of the university, as well as those of the SEHD. Visit the Registrar’s website at further information, deadlines, policies and instructions on how to register online.

Review the current term’s academic calendar for the most recent add/drop deadlines by visiting the registrar’s website at

Administrative Drop\\
An administrative drop is implemented by university officials in the Registrar’s Office or the Dean’s office. A student may be administratively dropped from one or more classes or withdrawn from all classes for any of the following reasons:

* failure to meet certain preconditions, including but not limited to:
* class cancellations
* failure to meet course prerequisites
* whenever the safety of the student, faculty member or other students in a course would be jeopardized
* academic suspension, including but not limited to failure to attain or maintain a required GPA
* disciplinary suspension for having been found to have violated the student code of conduct
* disruptive behavior determined by the chair and/or associate dean to be detrimental to the progress of the course and the education of other students.

Auditing Courses

To qualify as an auditor for fall, spring or summer semester, a student must be 21 years of age or older or approved by the Registrar. Auditors may not be registered for any other University of Colorado courses during the time they are auditing and are not eligible to audit courses if they are under suspension from the university or have outstanding financial obligations to the university. The Registrar’s Office does not keep any record of courses audited; therefore, credit for these courses cannot be established. Auditors may attend as many courses as they wish (except those courses with laboratories or where special equipment is used), provided they have received permission from each instructor.

An auditor’s card is issued after classes begin. This card should be presented to the instructor. Auditors, whether resident or nonresident, pay three semester hours of resident tuition for all audited courses during the fall or spring semester for class instruction and library privileges only. Auditors do not receive student parking privileges and are not eligible for other student services. For more information, contact the Bursar’s office. Senior citizens (aged 60 and over) may audit classes at no charge. Contact the Division of Enrollment and Student Affairs at 1250 14th Street, 303-556-8427.

Concurrent Registration/Enrollment

The Concurrent Registration Form must be used by degree-seeking students to register through their home campus for courses taught at other University of Colorado campuses. Concurrent registration can only be conducted during the drop/add period at the host campus; registration will not be allowed before or after this drop/add period. For more information, please read the concurrent registration policy and restrictions on the form, found at

Independent Study/Dissertation Credits

To register for independent study, thesis, dissertation, practicum, special studies, variable credit, etc. students must use the Special Processing form found at Note: this form requires faculty approval.


If less than three consecutive semesters, including summer, has passed since a student in good standing was last enrolled in courses at CU Denver, the student must only notify Academic Services they wish to re-enter. However, students who have been admitted to a graduate program, but NEVER enrolled for courses, must go through the regular online process for admission.

Students who were previously admitted and enrolled, but have not registered for three consecutive semesters, including summer, must apply for readmission. This requires submission of:

Graduate Application Part 1 and In-State Tuition Classification form (Colorado residents must complete both). \\
[]  \\

Completing the readmission application process does not guarantee your readmission. Programs reserve the right to require additional documentation and/or require the student to meet any new admission requirements required of matriculants (i.e. background checks, immunization, or tests for readmission). Applicants will be notified by email if they have met the requirements for readmission or if additional documentation is required.

Those who have not been active for more than four years must complete the full application process.

PhD and EdD students may apply for a time extension or leave of absence as long as the total time to complete the degree does not exceed 10 years. Up to one year of an approved leave of absence may be taken without reapplying to the program upon return.

change of program

Students who are currently enrolled, in good standing, and want to change programs and/or degrees must complete the Change of Program Form and submit with the required signatures to their academic advisor. Students can access this form by contacting their current academic advisor.

course descriptions

Course descriptions are available at Select the Denver campus course catalog and the academic year.

Course Schedule

The schedule of courses is available in the UCDAccess portal via the Student Center. Prospective students can view the schedule of classes at

Faculty Course Questionnaires

The Faculty Course Questionnaire (FCQ) is the means by which students can evaluate a course and an instructor. The questionnaires are all administered online. Students will receive email reminders to complete the FCQ.


Final grades are available through your campus web portal UCDAccess, approximately two weeks after the end of the semester. Students should refer to their program handbooks for specifics regarding minimum grade required per course and overall GPA requirements.

Incomplete Grades

Students who are requesting a grade of Incomplete (‘I’), should refer to the SEHD Course Completion Agreement for Incomplete available on the website at for the full policy and form.

NOTE: grades of I, W, NC, and F do NOT satisfy financial aid requirements.

Minimum Acceptable Grades

To maintain satisfactory academic progress, advance to candidacy and earn a graduate degree, students are required to maintain at least a “B” (3.00) average in all work attempted while enrolled. In general, courses in which grades below “B minus” (2.7) are received may not be applied toward fulfillment of the requirements for your degree. 'Individual programs may have more stringent, or less stringent minimum grade requirements. 'All grades received will appear on the student’s transcript and will be included in the GPA calculation. Students should refer to their program handbook for specific information on grade requirements.

Repeating Coursework

A graduate student who receives an unsatisfactory grade in a course may repeat that course once. The 2 grades received will be averaged in calculating the grade point average, and all grades received will appear on the student's transcript. The course may be counted only once toward satisfying the credit hour requirement for the degree.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

If, at any time, a student’s cumulative graduate grade point average (GPA) after matriculation falls below 3.00 (some graduate programs may require that a higher GPA be maintained) the student will be placed on academic probation. Probationary full-time students have 2 semesters, probationary part-time students have 4 semesters, in which to raise their cumulative GPA to a 3.00 (or greater if required by the program) for removal from academic probation (calculated using ' all 'graduate-level courses since matriculation, including graduate courses that a student enrolled in outside his/her main program). In addition, a minimum GPA of 3.00 (or greater if required by the program) must be maintained in each probationary term. Students who fail to meet the conditions of probation are subject to dismissal from the School of Education and Human Development. Any student who is dismissed following unsuccessful academic probation or failure to meet his/her program’s guidelines for satisfactory academic progress may reapply for admission to the same or a different graduate program only after 1 year. The student should consult with the Program Director before applying.

Probation also may be imposed for other reasons related to unsatisfactory academic progress and for unprofessional behavior, including honor code violations and conduct that violates the integrity of training and research. In such instances, the length and specific conditions of the probationary period will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Removal from Probation

Once the student’s GPA has been recalculated and shown to be 3.00 or above, and/or other specified conditions of the probationary status have been met, the student will be removed from probation and the registration hold will be released.

Probation and Graduation

A student cannot take a milestone exam (Masters final exam or thesis defense, PhD comprehensive exam or dissertation defense) or obtain a degree from CU Denver while on probation.

Comprehensive Exam/Culminating Experience\\
Students in many programs are required to complete a comprehensive exam (COMP) or culminating experience (CE) prior to completion of their degree and/or licensure/endorsement program. 'Students must register for these exams and experiences. 'Your program handbook provides details on your required COMP or CE. Should you have content specific questions regarding your CE, contact your faculty advisor. Doctoral students should refer to the handbook for details. All other students should do the following -

- Submit the Comprehensive Exam/Culminating Experience Registration Form by the deadlines posted.
- Make sure that you have also applied for graduation through UCDAccess by the deadline listed on the Academic Calendar. Registering for your comprehensive exam or culminating experience does not register you for graduation.
- Register for at least one course during the semester you complete your COMP/CE. If you can’t take a class the semester you plan to complete your COMP/CE, you mustregister and pay for one credit hour as a Candidate for Degree (CAND 5940). The CAND 5940 class number will be posted at for each semester. If you are already registered for another course the semester you are completing your COMP/CE, you don’t need to register for CAND 5940. In UCDAccess, you will need to go to your student center page, search for classes and then select the ENROLL TAB. Enter the class number above the box labeled “add to cart/enter class number.”
- Expect to receive communication from the SEHD via your official CU Denver e-mail. We will send you acknowledgement notices after the deadline, announcements and COMP/CE results.
- Complete your COMP/CE by the required due date. Portfolios, papers, projects and take home exams should be turned in by the deadline posted at, unless instructed otherwise by your faculty advisor. The comprehensive timed exam for the Counseling program date will be posted at
- If you decide to postpone completing your COMP/CE, notify Academic Services.


Students MUST file an application for graduation! Apply through your UCDAccess student portal to notify the Office of the Registrar of your intent to confer your degree by the posted deadlines. Full instructions can be found at

Graduating with honors is an undergraduate distinction. Graduate student do NOT graduate with honors!

Undergraduate Honor Levels

3.80-4.0: summa cum laude\\
3.60-3.79: magna cum laude\\
3.50-3.59: cum laude

Commencement \\
If you plan to participate in commencement ceremonies, you will need to register for this separately at Commencement Online.

Participating in commencement when not actually graduating

Master’s and undergraduate students who wish to participate in the commencement ceremony who are not actually graduating may do so. However, Doctoral graduates must complete 100% of degree requirements before they can be hooded in the ceremony.

Bachelor's and master's degree recipients are permitted to walk in the ceremony without having completed all degree requirements. Your name will not be in the program and walking in the ceremony is not a guarantee of graduation.

Please note that graduate names are printed in the commencement program only in the semester for which you have been approved to graduate.

It is the student’s responsibility to register for the commencement ceremony and for regalia. For information, please visit

Institutional Recommendations

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure he/she has met the requirements for licensure and endorsement. Students should refer to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) website for the most current information.

Recommendations are made by the SEHD, but licenses and endorsements are granted by the State of Colorado. Individual state requirements vary and may include teaching examinations in addition to a valid teaching license. Students should consult with the CDE and/or the state they will be living in, for the most updated licensure and endorsement requirements.

Students should download the applicable form from the CDE website, complete the top portion of the form and submit it with your contact information, including e-mail address, to Academic Services in person, by FAX at 303-315-6311, or email to for us to complete. Allow up to 5 business days for the signed form to be e-mailed directly to you for uploading to CDE.

===== Time Limit Extension Policy =====

[[|Master’s and Educational Specialist students should request a time extension if their time to degree will be beyond the 7 year limit for their degree.  Students should complete the ]][ time extension form] and submit to their Academic Advisor.\\

EdD, PsyD, and PhD, students should confer with their Faculty Advisor and refer to their program handbook and the Graduate School Student Handbook.

Leaves of Absence

Students who need to leave CU Denver graduate programs for a period of time should determine with their faculty advisor if a petition for leave is required for an absence of up to three consecutive semesters, including summer. If approved by the faculty advisor, a copy of the petition is forwarded to Academic Services for MA and EdS students and the Graduate School for EdD, PsyD, and PhD students. Approved leaves of absence do not automatically extend the time limits for earning a degree, but they may be cited as supporting documentation to request an extension if needed. Leaves of absence that exceed one year will not be approved unless the faculty advisor provides the Dean of either the SEHD or the Graduate School, depending upon degree program, with a compelling justification why such action should be approved. Students who are absent for longer than one year will be considered to have withdrawn from the program and will be required to reapply for admission and be considered with all other applicants.

Withdrawing (dropping all classes)

Students who are withdrawing from all courses should consult with their academic advisor as soon as possible. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from their classes. Students should refer to the Academic Calendars for deadlines and fees. For full policy on financial aid implications, students should visit

Medical withdrawal Policy

Students diagnosed with either physical or psychological medical conditions that significantly impact their safety or ability to be academically successful are eligible to petition for a medical withdrawal. A student who wishes to withdraw under the Medical Withdrawal Policy must withdraw from all classes; partial withdrawals are not permitted. Additionally, international students must contact their assigned International Services Specialist to discuss visa implications associated with withdrawing. Students seeking to withdraw for non-medical reasons will need to review the withdrawal policies and procedures for their respective school or college.

The official request for a Medical Withdrawal and all appropriate documentation of the medical condition must be submitted online at The Office of Case Management will review all requests for medical withdrawals; Case Managers may request the student provide additional documentation or clarification when necessary. All required documentation must be attached to the request to receive full consideration. Questions can be directed to the Office of Case Management Staff at 303-352-3579.

Student Academic Appeals Process

Instructions are found at: Doctoral students should refer to the Graduate School’s Graduate Student Handbook for appeals regarding suspension, termination/dismissal, and denial of progress.

Financial Aid and Tuition

You must apply for financial aid every year. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available starting January of each year. It can be accessed by navigating to the Federal Student Aid website at

Note: Financial aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis. We recommend that you file your federal tax returns as early in the calendar year as possible so that your tax data is available through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) when completing the FAFSA application. Income tax return data is available through the DRT three weeks after electronic tax filing and eight weeks after paper tax filing.

More than 50% of our students take advantage of need-based financial aid awards and loans. We also offer scholarships, grants (including the popular TEACH grant), and work study. The CU Denver Scholarship Office has information and resources and can be found at: Information on SEHD financial aid can be found at:

Summer Financial Aid

The amount of financial aid offered to you for the fall and spring semesters may be at or near your yearly maximum and, if utilized in the fall and spring semesters, will leave you with little or no eligibility for summer. If you plan to take summer classes, and will need loan assistance, then you will need to make plans during fall and spring semesters to budget your loan funds. You may want to reserve some funds for summer by reducing the amount of loans that you borrow during the school year.

If you opt to borrow your maximum loan eligibility during the fall and spring semesters, please contact Financial Aid at 303-315-1850 or for more information on your summer options. You must be enrolled at least half-time (3 credit hours for graduate students) to receive aid. Information can be found at


We encourage you to apply for scholarships. Some are need-based while others are not. To apply for these awards, log in to your UCDAccess Portal at Be sure to read the scholarship criteria carefully before applying. If you have questions about the application process, contact the Scholarship Resource Office at 303-352-3608.

Scholarship awards are determined by the School's scholarship committee which includes faculty and staff. Award amounts may vary semester to semester. If you aren't awarded a scholarship the first time you apply, reapply for any scholarship you are interested in if you continue to meet the criteria. Information on SEHD scholarships can be found at:

Other Financial Aid Resources

There may be other resources to assist you with the financing of your education, including: veteran’s benefits, employer tuition reimbursement, and outside scholarships. Any amount received from outside sources, will reduce what you need to borrow!

Visit UCD’s Scholarship Resource Office at for information about additional scholarships.

Don't forget to research private scholarships and grant opportunities. The Internet offers some scholarship search services. Some free scholarship search engines include:

* FastWeb
* Scholarship Experts

Employer Reimbursement or Tuition Waiver

Some employers may provide partial or full tuition reimbursement to employees or dependents. Check with your employer to see if you qualify.

* The Bursar’s Office may be able to set up deferred payments for students who will have all or a portion of their bill paid by an employer.
* For questions about eligibility for CU system employee tuition waivers, see the Payroll and Benefit Services website at

Veteran’s Benefits

The Office of Veteran Student Services (OVSS) has information especially for veterans. Visit their website at and thank you for your service!

Tuition and Fees

Information on current graduate tuition and fees is available at This website also has information on due dates for paying your tuition and how to contact the Bursar’s Office.

Residency Classification

Tuition classification is governed by Colorado statutes that apply to all state-funded institutions in Colorado. Institutions are bound by the provisions of this statute and are not free to make exceptions to the rules set forth.

Students are initially classified as in-state or out-of-state for tuition purposes at the time of application. The classification is based upon information furnished by the student and from other relevant sources. After the student's status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary. Full information is available at

Which department to contact for Residency questions

Contact Graduate or Undergraduate Admissions if you are:
* A Prospective student;
* A newly admitted student (including readmitted students);
* A student that is “Under Review” for current or previous semesters;
* Military (active duty or veteran) wanting resident tuition rates; or
* ASSET/DACA students



Contact the Registrar if you are:
* A student in AT LEAST your first term of enrollment @ CU Denver;
* A student in at least your second term of enrollment @ CU Denver;
* A student petitioning for emancipation (regardless of your admission status);
* Military active duty or veteran wanting resident tuition rates; or
* Military students wanting to become a 100% resident of Colorado.

Registrar Phone: 303-315-2600


Paying Your Bill

Tuition and fee e-bills for all CU Denver students are available online via the UCDAccess student portal. CU Denver does not mail paper billing statements to students. Tuition and fee e-bills are generally loaded to the UCDAccess portal on the first business day of the month in which classes begin (or approximately 3 weeks before the start of class). Students who do not register for classes until after the e-bills have been loaded to the web will not receive their tuition and fee e-bill until after the census date, and payment will be due on the date specified on the student's e-bill. Visit the Bursar’s website for more information at

Tuition Appeals

If you feel that you have an extenuating circumstance that justifies an exception to financial obligations, you may appeal and it will be reviewed by the tuition appeals coordinator. All information on how to appeal can be found at

General Information

Confidentiality of Students’ Records - ferpa

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records:

- The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day that the university receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
- The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the university discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Colorado to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20202-4605

The following items are designated “Directory Information” and may be released at the discretion of the University of Colorado Denver unless a student files a request to prevent their disclosure:

* name
* address
* e-mail address
* telephone number
* dates of attendance
* registration status
* class
* major
* awards
* honors
* degrees conferred
* photos
* past and present participation in officially recognized sports and non-curricular activities
* physical factors (height, weight) of athletes

Forms to prevent the disclosure of directory information can be obtained at the Registrar’s Office in the Student Commons Building, Room 5005, or via the Registrar’s website at Questions regarding student rights under FERPA should be directed to the Registrar’s Office, 303-315-2600.


University E-mail is an official means of communication for students at CU Denver. All official university e-mail will be sent to each student’s assigned a CU Denver\\
e-mail address.

CU Denver will only use CU Denver student e-mail accounts if it elects to send e-mail communications to students. CU Denver e-mail accounts are available through IT Services. Students are responsible for reading e-mails received from CU Denver. Information on your UCD email account can be found at

Forwarding your UCD Email

Students are discouraged from forwarding their CU Denver email to an external account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). Students are strongly encouraged to regularly check their CU Denver email to ensure you are receiving all messages sent from the university.

UCD Access

UCDAccess is the student portal you will use to register for classes, check your grades, view financial aid, pay your tuition, etc. You will login using your official University username and password. You can login at the UCDAccess website located at You will also find instructions at this website and additional resources.

Technology Resources

Help Desk

The CU Denver IT Services Help Desk is your main point of contact for any of your technology questions. The primary mission of the CU Denver IT Services Help Desk is to provide technology assistance to CU Denver Faculty and Staff. Help Desk Technicians offer phone, email and remote support for many campus technology issues. They also handle the scheduling of IT Services technicians for faculty and staff computer issues that require on-site support.

Their website and contact information – including after-hours support – is available at

SEHD Student Learning Commons

Located on the 7th floor of the Lawrence Street Center (LSC) the Student Learning Commons is available for all SEHD students. There are fourteen 21″ iMac’s and open configurable furniture to encourage small group and collaborative work and reservable small meeting rooms for group study or projects. Visit for lab and classroom schedules.

Auraria Library Computer Access

* In order to access computers on site at the Auraria Library, all users must have a valid Auraria Campus ID (includes student or faculty/staff ID’s from any of the three schools) or a valid State of Colorado Driver License or State of Colorado Identification Card.
* Students, faculty and staff affiliated with the Auraria Campus have unlimited access to all PC’s in the public areas of the first and second floors.
* Library hours are available at

Educational Support Services (ESS) Student Labs

Visit the ESS website for additional information on student computer labs on the Denver Campus.


Printing kiosks are located on the 7th floor. Remember to LOG OFF when you are done.


The SEHD uses LiveText, a web-based learning and creative environment designed to assist students, faculty, and staff in the process of assessment and accreditation. Students will be notified by email sent to their student email accounts about how to activate their individual LiveText license. Please visit the SEHD assessment website at to find answers to your questions and access training materials.


Canvas is the online learning management system used by CU Denver, which allows you to access course material, interact with other students, submit assignments online, take quizzes, and engage in online classes. You can login to Canvas at using your University username and password. Visit the Canvas website for information at Visit to see a sample online course shell.

Assessment Library

The Assessment Library houses assessment kits and software used for psychological and behavioral testing and evaluation purposes. Information on the Assessment Library, including calendar of hours and list of assessments can be found at For questions, send an email to

Campus Resources

A full listing of Student Services is available at

Discrimination and Harassment Policies

The University of Colorado Denver is committed to enhancing the inclusiveness of its work force and its student body. Inclusiveness among students, faculty, staff and administrators is essential to educational excellence and to accomplishing CU Denver’s urban mission. Inclusiveness among faculty, staff and administrators provides role models and mentors for students, who will become leaders in academe and in the larger society, and ensures that a broad array of experiences and world views informs and shapes teaching, research, service and decision making at CU Denver.

Pursuant to Article 10, Laws of the University of Colorado Board of Regents, the university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status in admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, its educational programs and activities. The university takes action to increase ethnic, cultural and gender diversity, to employ qualified disabled individuals and to provide equal opportunity to all students and employees.

All students shall have the same fundamental rights to equal respect, due process and judgment of them based solely on factors demonstrably related to performance and expectations as students. All students share equally the obligations to perform their duties and exercise judgments of others in accordance with the basic standards of fairness, equity and inquiry that should always guide education.

CU Denver procedures for investigating complaints of discrimination may be found online at

To report a violation of Article 10 or for additional information, contact the CU Denver Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Compliance Officer at 303-315-2724; mailing address: EO/AA Compliance Office, CU Denver, P.O. Box 173364, Campus Box 130, Denver, CO 80217-3364.

If you are a student at CU Denver and need assistance with access to or participation in the academic curriculum, contact the Office of Disability Resources and Services at: 303-556-3450; TTY 303-556-4766; mailing address P.O. Box 173364, Campus Box 118, Denver, CO 80217-3364.

Nondiscrimination Policy

The University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, political affiliation, or political philosophy in admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, its educational programs and activities. The university takes action to increase ethnic, cultural, and gender diversity, to employ qualified disabled individuals, and to provide equal opportunity to all students and employees.

Qualification for the position and institutional need shall be the sole bases for hiring employees, and the criteria for retaining employees shall be related to performance evaluation, assessment of institutional need, fiscal constraints, and/or, in the case of exempt professionals, the rational exercise of administrative prerogative.

All students shall have the same fundamental rights to equal respect, due process, and judgment of them based solely on factors demonstrably related to performance and expectations as students. All students share equally the obligations to perform their duties and exercise judgments of others in accordance with the basic standards of fairness, equity, and inquiry that should always guide education.

History: Amended November 8, 2001; September 17, 2013; August 2014

Reporting Disability Discrimination

Article 10 of the laws of the University Of Colorado Board Of Regents prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability (or on the basis of membership in other protected classes) in admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, University of Colorado educational programs and activities. To report discrimination or to obtain additional information, contact the CU Denver ADA coordinator, 303-315-2724; mailing address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus Box 130, Denver, CO 80217-3364. Complaints of discrimination based upon disability will be processed according to the provisions of the CU Denver nondiscrimination procedures, which may be found online at:

Sexual Harassment

The University of Colorado is committed to maintaining a positive learning, working and living environment. In pursuit of these goals, the university will not tolerate acts of sexual harassment or related retaliation against or by any employee or student.

Sexual harassment: consists of interaction between individuals of the same or opposite sex that is characterized by unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when: (1) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment, living conditions and/or educational evaluation; (2) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for tangible employment or educational decisions affecting such individual; or (3) such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work or academic performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working or educational environment.

Hostile environment sexual harassment: (described in subpart (3) above) is unwelcome sexual conduct that is sufficiently severe or pervasive that it alters the conditions of education or employment and creates an environment that a reasonable person would find intimidating, hostile or offensive. The determination of whether an environment is “hostile” must be based on all of the circumstances. These circumstances could include the frequency of the conduct, its severity and whether it is threatening or humiliating.

Retaliatory acts: It is a violation of this policy to engage in retaliatory acts against any employee or student who reports an incident of alleged sexual harassment or any employee or student who testifies, assists or participates in a proceeding, investigation or hearing relating to such allegation of sexual harassment.

The University of Colorado System Administrative Policy Statement (APS) on sexual harassment policy and procedures may be obtained from the CU Denver sexual harassment officer (see “Reporting Sexual Harassment”) or found online at:

Reporting Sexual Harassment

If you need to report sexual harassment or if you have any questions regarding sexual harassment or policy above, contact the CU Denver sexual harassment officer at 303-315-2724; send correspondence to Human Resources, P.O. Box 173364, Campus Box 130, Denver, CO 80217-3364.

handbooks/student_policies_and_procedures_handbook.txt · Last modified: 2020/02/06 17:09 by Matt Mitchell